Don’t Be Blinded by Your Own Expertise
Expertise can impede performance.
Here are some warning signs that you might have fallen into an expertise trap:
- Market developments begin to take you by surprise.
- You’re unfamiliar with new technologies or approaches in your industry.
- Others seem uncomfortable challenging your assumptions and ideas.
- You tend to do things in a certain way because “Well, that’s how we’ve always done it.”
- When making decisions, you focus on risks rather than on opportunities.
- You discover that colleagues are working together in ways you haven’t.
- You keep proposing the same old strategies and tactics to address new challenges.
- You try to make old solutions ever more precise rather than pioneering entirely new ones.
- Millennials leave your team faster than they do other teams in your company.
The solution is clear: Rededicate yourself to learning and growth. Turn back the clock and rediscover just a bit of what the Buddhists call beginner’s mind.
To read the full HBR article, please click here.